- 1981 to Present. Richard S. Lurye, Attorney at Law, Rockville, Maryland. Private practice of law exclusively devoted to criminal, drunk driving defense, juvenile law, MVA administrative hearings and civil rights. I have defended everything from capital murder to misdemeanors, in State and federal courts.
- 1980-81. Assistant State Attorney General, New York State. Deputy Chief, Prisoner Litigation. Chief litigating attorney for the New York State Department of Corrections.
- 1978-80. Inspector General, New York City Department of Environmental Protection. Chief legal officer prosecuting fraud and other criminal activities.
- 1975-78. Assistant District Attorney, Queens County, New York. Prosecution of homicide, organized crime, street crime, drunk driving, juvenile offenses and appeals.
- New York University Law School, 1980, Master of Laws in Criminal Justice.
- Brooklyn Law School, 1975, Juris Doctor.
- State University of New York at Stony Brook, 1970, B.A., Fine Arts.
- Harvard Negotiation Project, Harvard University Law School. Intensive clinical negotiation skills program.
- National Institute for Trial Advocacy, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Intensive clinical advocacy program for trial attorneys.
- Cornell University Institute on Organized Crime. Intensive clinical training program for white collar and organized crime prosecutors.
Teaching the Law
- Adjunct Faculty, Montgomery College, Department of Criminal Justice. Criminal Law, Evidence and Procedure. 1989-91.
- Faculty, National Institute for Trial Advocacy, Georgetown University Continuing Legal Education, 1982-1985.
- Faculty, Criminal Practice Institute, District of Columbia, 1983-84.
- Bar Admissions
- Maryland (State and federal), New York (State and Southern and Eastern Districts of New York), and U.S. Supreme Court.
Montgomery County Bar Association
I have served on the Professionalism Committee, Designated Conciliator Program Committee [Chair], Lawyer to Lawyer Committee [assisting attorneys with substance abuse and other problems], Federal Court Task Force, many years on the Bar Revue. The Revue is an annual entertainment for Bar Members, which raises money for the Montgomery County Bar Foundation.
Other Bar Associations
- National College for DUI Defense, Founding Member.
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Lifetime Member.
- Maryland Criminal Defense Attorney’s Association.
- Maryland State Bar Association.
I am licensed to practice law in the States of Maryland and before the United States Supreme Court. The information on this website is not a substitute for legal advice from a licensed attorney who is fully familiar with the law and facts of your case. This website does not create an attorney client relationship between us; such a relationship can be created only by a signed written agreement for the provision of legal services.